Nepal’s cricket enthusiasts have reason to cheer as the construction work of the Gautam Buddha International Cricket Stadium is set to gain momentum following a pivotal agreement between the Bagmati Provincial Government and Bharatpur Metropolitan City. The development signifies a significant step towards enhancing the nation’s cricket infrastructure and hosting international tournaments on home soil.
The agreement, reached between Chief Minister Salikram Jamarkattel of the Bagmati Provincial Government and Mayor Renu Dahal of Bharatpur Metropolis, pertains to the investment modality for the stadium’s construction. A notable outcome of this agreement is the immediate initiation of construction activities for the cricket stadium, designed to accommodate a sizable audience of 10,000 spectators.
it has been agreed that Bharatpur Metropolitan CIty and the Federal Government will manage all the responsibilities related to financial activities and loans till today. According to the decision of the meeting, the chief political advisor of Chief Minister Shalikram Jamkattel, Mr. DP Dhakal, informed that the contract will be called soon and the construction work of the stadium will be started.
According to the terms of the agreement, the estimated cost of constructing this stadium stands at approximately 75 Crores Nepali Rupees. The financing of this ambitious project will be divided, with the Bagmati Province contributing 70 percent of the budget and the Bharatpur Metropolis investing the remaining 30 percent.
The Member Secretary of the Provincial Sports Development Council, Suryalal Bhandari, expressed optimism regarding the progress of the Gautam Buddha International Cricket Stadium’s construction. With the investment modality now in place, the construction of the stadium, designed to hold 10,000 enthusiastic spectators, is set to begin promptly.
Following challenges and a lack of expected support, the foundation withdrew from the construction efforts, leaving the government to take the lead in bringing this project to fruition. Although the modality of investment was a sticking point, the recent agreement between the state government and Bharatpur Metropolis to undertake the stadium’s construction is a clear indication of renewed momentum.
It’s important to note that the stadium’s detailed project report initially outlined a capacity of 30,000 spectators. However, the current phase focuses on establishing seating for 10,000 fans, with the remainder of the project slated for a subsequent phase. This promising development comes after the Dhurmus Suntali Foundation initially announced its intention to construct the Gautam Buddha International Cricket Stadium in Bharatpur, Chitwan.
The Gautam Buddha International Cricket Stadium’s construction represents a significant leap forward for Nepali cricket, unlocking the potential for the nation to host international matches and tournaments. This agreement lays the foundation for a promising future, where Nepal’s cricketing aspirations are poised to soar to greater heights on the global stage.